Monday, January 30, 2012

Fancy Flower Alternatives

Sticking with the theme of saving money on weddings, lets take a look at some alternatives to the ever-expensive and quickly perishing flower bouquets. As seen in my previous post, I decided to forego the large quantity of flowers as table centerpieces. Similarly, I recently participated in a "trash the dress" session where I created a bouquet out of feathers and a few sparkly, floral Christmas tree picks. I simply arranged the feathers and flower picks to seem somewhat symmetrical yet edgy, then finished off the handle by wrapping it with a ribbon and fastening it with floral pins. For a more elegant look, rhinestone and pearl-head pins are available. I used small pins that were virtually invisible. After months of sitting on display, my bouquet looks just as good as it did the day I created it, and best of all, at 40% off at our local JoAnn Fabrics store, the entire bouquet cost me $7. I'd say that's substantially better than the $100 fee for the brides flower bouquet. A traditional flower bouquet has a much shorter shelf-life. Even when dried, they don't seem to hold the same aesthetic appeal.

Here is the feather bouquet I created for my photo-shoot (Courtesy of Dana Du Jour Photography)
If you don't feel particularly crafty or prefer to have a professional masterpiece in your hands on your big day, there are many artists who would love to make one for you, still less expensive than a florist! Check out some of these edgy flower bouquet alternatives!





No comments:

Post a Comment