Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Project Baby Shower: Part 1

Next big event on my agenda, a baby shower! This will be a first for me so you'll be seeing the inner workings of my mind in the rawest form. The theme: Garden. The mama-to-be: a bookworm.... It will be interesting to see how this all comes together! My first task was easy, the May 19th party date leaves me with plenty of time to get my creative juices flowing.
After checking out my grandmas Better Homes and Gardens magazine, I was inspired to snag one of their Valentines day ideas and make it my own. (By the way, bhg.com/valsbonus has lots of great ideas that can be converted from Valentines theme to whatever you want it to be!)

Their idea: a Journal and a library card with a list of things you love about the recipient. My twist: Baby books with the a library card list of wishes for the baby. I modified a template from the BHG website to fit my needs and started my search for the rest of the pieces. Unfortunately for me, no one locally sells library card pockets and I didn't want to pay $5 for shipping from Amazon or any other site I came across so I decided to trek on over to my local library and see if they had any to spare. Luckily, libraries are catching up to the 21st century and use computers to check out books nowadays. They were more than willing to give me, yes GIVE me the item I was after. After a quick stop to the hobby store to pick up some scrapbook paper, I was ready to complete my project.

To start, I printed my "Wishes for Baby" on white cardstock- 4 to a page.
Next, I folded the card pockets over 1/3 of the way to mask the "Due Date" printed on the back. Using glue dots, I secured the flap to the bottom portion of the pocket.
To give the pocket a classy feel, I chose a 12X12 piece of scrapbook paper to cut and paste. I freehanded my paper rectangles to give the pocket more character. (Perfection is no fun!) Glue dots secured the paper to the pocket and VOILA! The pocket is complete. Simply slide in cardstock list and your pockets are ready for distribution!

Guests for my event will be asked to bring their favorite children's book and complete a list of 10 wished for the baby. I will then attach the list to the inside of each book for mom and baby to enjoy!

Total cost for 35 cards: $2. Inexpensive and sentimental :)
The beginning! 



my FREE Library card pockets in their original form

Fold over the top to mask the "Due Date" section

Free-hand cut a rectangle of paper to adorn the pocket
Finished project

1 comment:

  1. YAY! This idea is fabulous! It is so much more sentimental and the mother and baby will have the keepsakes forever! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete