Friday, February 3, 2012

Project Baby Shower: Invitations Part 1

The first ideas your guests have about your event come from your invitation. By looking at it, they should be able to determine if it's going to be a casual or formal affair without having to ask the host/hostess. Either way, invitations can be expensive. Here is my first attempt at cost-efficient, fabulous invitations!
My first step was to choose contrasting papers. I used an elegant floral print for the background with a teal for the accent. I printed my invitation information on the teal sheet with a butterfly outline in the corner. I was able to print four invitations on one 8.5x11 sheet of cardstock. I cut both the floral paper and the teal cardstock into quarters using a paper cutter to ensure straight edges. (Don't have a paper cutter? Head on down to your local library or Staples store and use theirs!) Next, I added dimension by cutting out a butterfly in the upper left corner. My original intent was to buy a butterfly shaped punch but was not willing to pay $25 for one, so I took the hard way and printed the butterfly outline on the paper and cut it out with an exacto knife. Using glue dots, which may be one of the greatest inventions in crafting, I fastened the two pieces of paper together, centering the teal on top of the floral. At $0.15 per invitation, this project is well worth the exacto knife pain! Here is my finished product:

Floral background with a teal accent fixed to each other via glue dots

Butterfly cut out

Finished Product
Can you guess the style of this party? Formal, Casual, or somewhere in between?

No comments:

Post a Comment