Sunday, February 5, 2012

Re-purposing for drama

If you want to make your event look dramatic and flashy but you don't want to put the money into it, just add dimension to your buffet table. By this I mean display your foods at different heights, and maybe even add a piece of decor or two (maybe a short vase for a single flower, a wicker ball, or even just a pretty tea light). You don't have to buy new platters, just use some things you have around the house. If you can't find what you need, check out your local goodwill or garage sales.

I decided to re-purpose some candle holders... for the second time actually. The first time they were used in centerpieces at my sisters wedding, in their second use I hot glued them together to form higher candle towers, and this time around, I'm using them in an entirely new way by hot gluing plates to them. And it really is that simple. I found a candle holder I liked, found a quirky plate (from my own garage sale items!) and hot glued the plate to the candle holder. I also tried this with other items such as a large decorative goblet and a wine glass. Anything with a sturdy base that can balance a plate on top will work fine.



Note: If you have an bulbous container such as this one, give it some added flair by filling it with tissue paper, fruit, ornaments, feathers, goldfish or whatever else you'd like. I just wouldn't recommend gluing it together so you can retrieve the items later




Set your buffet with the different level serving platters and you instantly have a great dramatic look! The more random and mismatched the better! Happy hunting!: )

No comments:

Post a Comment